Kunjapuri Trek: A Journey to Majestic Sunrise
The Kunjapuri trek is one of the top-rated treks in Rishikesh that offers stunning views of the surrounding region. Though it is a short trek, it provides an opportunity to witness the mesmerizing Secret Waterfalls & Neer waterfalls, the charming village, and the lush forests. The trek offers a chance to behold the beauty of the mountain’s sunrise and the temple located at an elevation of 1,676 meters, which is situated around 30 km from Tapovan in Rishikesh
Kunjapuri Temple is a highly regarded temple located in Rishikesh, perched at an altitude of 1676 meters above sea level. From the temple, visitors can behold breathtaking views of the snow-covered peaks of Chaukhamba, Swarga Rohini, Banderpunch, and Gangotri. The Kunjapuri Trek is a well-known trekking route in Rishikesh that lets you immerse yourself in the stunning natural beauty of the region.
Suggested Read – Cooking Classes in Rishikesh – Learn Explore and Live
During the winter months, the weather at Kunjapuri is chilly and cold, with temperatures ranging between 0 to 10 degrees Celsius, accompanied by strong northerly winds.
In the summer months, Kunjapuri experiences pleasant weather with comfortable temperatures. However, during the monsoon season, which spans from June to September, the weather at Kunjapuri is typically cloudy, making it difficult to enjoy the sunrise.
Kunjapuri Trek in Rishikesh
The sunrise at Kunjapuri provides a breathtaking view of the greater Himalayas, including the best trekking spots in Rishikesh such as Neer Waterfall, Secret Waterfall, and village culture. From an aerial view, you can see Rishikesh and Haridwar in the south and the Doon Valley in the west.
Suggested Read – 51 Places to visit in Rishikesh & Things To Do in Rishikesh
Kunjapuri Trek Route
The 9 km uphill trek from Tapovan to Kunjapuri temple sunrise can be challenging, but it’s also blissful and rejuvenating. However, if you opt for the 12 km long downhill trek via Neer waterfall, it can be considered an easy-level and entry-level one-day short trek in Rishikesh.
How To Reach
To reach Kunjapuri Temple from Rishikesh, you need to take a 45-60 minutes road trip via Narendra Nagar and Ananda in the Himalayas. Starting from Tapovan in Rishikesh, you can first reach the Bhadarakali temple, and then follow the Gangotri Highway to drive through Narendra Nagar until you arrive at the temple.
If you choose to reach by trek,?
The Tapovan to Kunjapuri trek route map involves a 9 km uphill trek via Secret waterfall, Badhera village, and Barkot village, followed by a 12 km downhill trek through Pater village, Dharkot village, and Neer waterfall to reach Tapovan in Rishikesh.
Suggested Read – Patho Village Trek – An Offbeat & densely forested Trail
Kunjapuri Temple Trek?
Option 1: Drive up and Trek Down – This option takes approximately 6-7 hours to complete. It involves a 45-minute drive from Rishikesh to Kunjapuri Temple followed by a 3-4 hour downhill trek.
Option 2: Road Trip – The distance from Dehradun to Kunjapuri Temple is 65 km by road. Take the Gangotri Highways via Narendra Nagar and Ananda in the Himalayas from Dehradun to Rishikesh to reach Kunjapuri Temple.
Places to visit in Rishikesh while Kunjapuri Trek
The Kunjapuri Adventure Trails are designed for thrill-seekers, providing an opportunity to experience an intense adrenaline rush. Visitors from around the world come here to enjoy the famous downhill nature trails that lead to villages nestled on the sides of mountains. When visiting places like Badhera or Barkot, you will have the chance to experience the region’s nature, Himalayan culture, and traditions.
Himalaya Views from the Temple Kunjapuri
Himalayan Peaks -Gazing
- Gazing at the peaks is a mesmerizing experience as your eyes behold the snow-capped Himalayan peaks and the valleys beneath. The breathtaking vistas include Swargarohini, Gangotri, Banderpunch, and Chaukhamba, along with the panoramic views of Rishikesh, Haridwar, and the sprawling Doon Valley, all of which spread out before you like a delicious treat.
Kunjapuri Temple Sunrise Yoga & Meditation
Yoga Retreats & Meditation
- For those who are passionate about yoga and want to find a serene place to meditate while admiring the majestic snow-capped peaks, Kunjapuri Temple is the ideal destination. This temple is renowned as one of the most sacred pilgrimage sites in the world, where meditation and spirituality seamlessly blend in perfect harmony amidst the breathtaking landscape.
Suggested read – YOGA, AND MEDITATION IN RISHIKESH HIMALAYA
Wedding Rituals & Navratra Festival
- Kunjapuri temple is renowned for its wedding rituals and the Navaratra festival, making it a popular destination among the locals for marriage ceremonies. Visiting during the wedding season is a great way to immerse yourself in Himalayan culture and traditions. Additionally, the Navaratra festival provides a profound spiritual experience that touches the deepest parts of your heart.
Suggested Read – TRIP TO INTERNATIONAL YOGA FESTIVAL IN RISHIKESH
Kunjapuri Trek & Sunrise Hike
- Hiking and trekking at Kunjapuri Devi is the ultimate adventure activity in Rishikesh. It offers a plethora of experiences such as a breathtaking sunrise view, glimpses of village life, undiscovered trails, rare bird sightings, nearby waterfalls, and a chance to witness the unspoiled beauty of nature.
Suggested Read- Top 15 Real-life Adventure Activities for Your Family in Uttarakhand
Neer Waterfall Trek
- If you opt to chase the trails by foot from the Kunjapuri Temple, then get ready to witness the biggest waterfalls of Rishikesh which is the Neer Waterfall Trek. The waterfalls are divided into 3 tiers and the last tier is awesome, where you can swim and splash in the natural-made pond.
Suggested Read – Top 8 Popular Waterfalls in Rishikesh-Mussoorie-Dehradun
- As you know, without knowing the village culture of Uttarakhand, the visit will be always incomplete, The village life transmits some frequency that can be experienced when you are truly feeling within. The Kunjapuri Trek gives you these opportunities to interact with locals to know more about it.
Suggested Read – 5 Lesser-known Postcards Villages to visit in Uttarakhand
Sunrise View & Sunset View
- Travelers admire by heart the sunrise and sunset view from the temple complex. If you are a nature enthusiast and love to experience something awesome then take a walk from Hindolakhal up to the temple through the pine trees forest that will be more adventurous. The walk distance is about 5KM.
Suggested Read – Kausani- Popularly Known as Mini Switzerland of India
- The Kunjapuri Trail from Tapovan-Rishikesh is a paradise for birding. The trail goes up along the natural freshwater stream up to 3 km and during this birding trip, you spot vast varieties of Himalayan birds. Apart from this birding trail, the Barkot village is another hotspot for birding, and you can add this activity after sunrise view.
Suggested Read- Rishikesh- A Paradise For Birdwatching
The Secret Waterfall & Mahadev Cave
The Secret Waterfall and Mahadev Cave are some of the best places along the Kunjapuri – Tapovan Trail. The Mahadev cave is a natural wonder, and the Secret Waterfall is also a secret treasure trove in Rishikesh that not all tourists know about it.
Some Fact About Temple
This temple is one of the Siddha Peeth out of 52 and is located in Rishikesh Uttarakhand. There is a board display that this temple was built by the 197th Field Regiment (Kargil) on the entrance gate of the temple.
There are more than 300 concrete stairsteps to reach the top of the temple. The gate of the temple holds the statue of the lion with the goddess Kunjapuri.
The Best Time To visit Kunjapuri
The best time to visit Kunjapuri Temple is Morning and Evening time for sunrise and sunset views. Also, the Navratra festival is unmissable to have a chance to be a part of the Hindu rituals and culture here. The opening time is 6 Am to 8 Pm.
The Kunjapuri Trek is a gateway to an unforgettable experience in the lap of the Himalayas. From the spiritual serenity of the Kunjapuri Temple to the breathtaking vistas along the trekking trail, every step of this journey offers a profound connection with nature and an opportunity for personal growth.
Comments are closed.