History of the Beatles Ashram in Rishikesh
The ancient city not only eminent for pilgrimage and adventure actives but also ashramas. As it is the yoga capital of the world, people around the world come here to learn meditation and yoga. However, to learn meditation and yoga one has to stay in the Ashram and learn from the Guru. By following the rules and regulations of the place promotes spiritual vibes to the learner. One among such ashrams is the Beatles ashram which is quite popular in Rishikesh.
- The world-renowned Beatles rock band in 1960 came here and learned Transcendental meditation. In fact, the year 1968 in which they learned meditation turn out to be a very productive year for the Rock band.
- Apart from them, other International celebrities visited this place to learn Transcendental meditation. The ashram and its surrounding area are in a ruins state due to lack of maintenance.
- Yearly, many foreigners and Indians who are a fan of the old English rock band Beatles visit this place. Due to this in recent years Uttarakhand forest department converted this site into birdwatching and nature walking site for the tourist who visits this place. If you want to visit here for sightseeing then you need to pay an entry fee.
Suggested Read – Top 8 Popular Waterfalls in Rishikesh-Mussoorie-Dehradun
How to reach this place?
The nearest airport to this ashram is Jolly grant Airport whereas from the ashrama Rishikesh railways are 5 km. By road one can either walk or catch local transport from Ram Jhula which is 2km and 3 km from the Laxman Jhula.
History of Beatles Ashram – Rishikesh
- The original name of this ashram before the Beatles brand visiting here is Chaurasi Kutia ashram. Maharishi Mahesh Yogi is the guru who started this ashram and the transcendental meditation guru for the Beatles rock band.
- In the year 1967 Maharishi gave a seminar on transcendental meditation which the Beatles brand attended in wales. Later in 1968, they visited this ashrama along with other international celebrities songwriters, and singers of the 1960s.
- The main purpose of the Beatles band visit is they were facing stress due to international media attention. As they already met the Maharishi at the seminar they personally want to learn the advanced meditation from the Maharishi directly.
- Their journey to Rishikesh, India, changed their vision to see life and the advice from maharishi filled them with positive thoughts. Later they became the disciple of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.
- The current condition of this ashram is ruin state. It is not advisable to roam around here alone. The security guard here won’t allow anyone to enter inside the ashram as it is not safe. But one can take the photo near the Ashram premises and enjoy nature and the river close by.
Suggested Read –YOGA, AND MEDITATION IN RISHIKESH HIMALAYA
Places to visit near the Beatles Ashram
A famous bridge in Rishikesh located on the cosmic river Ganga. This connects two districts- Pauri and Tehri as well. This bridge got the name Lakshman because once Lord Rama’s brother Lakshman cross this bridge using rope. Besides this from the bridge, one can see the panoramic view of the majestic river Ganga.
The biggest and holy ghat in Rishikesh holds spiritual importance in Hinduism. Every year millions of pilgrims visit this place to dip in the sacred river waters of Ganga. Ganga Aarti is conducted here every evening. The spectacular view of Ganga Aarti and the reflection of the lights in the river water make one perplexed.
Suggested Read- Rishikesh- A Paradise For Birdwatching
Another popular bridge connects the Shivananda ashram and the Swargashram. This iron bridge gives a panoramic view of the River Ganga. One can reach this place through local transport. The distance between the Ram Jhula and the railways is 3km.
If you are an adventure freak then you must try Bungee jumping at Rishikesh. It is the highest Bungee jumping site in India. This Bungee jumping was running by a well-experienced team of people from Newzealand. Here they also have other adventurous activities like Giant swing and Asia’s highest fox flying. Anyone who is above 12 years of age and 35 kgs of weight can try this sport.
Suggested Read – The 7 Best Things To Do In Rishikesh, India
When you visit Rishikesh make sure you visit Beatles Ashram. This was once an international celebrity hub. Now it lost its glory but frequently visited by the Beatles fans around the world.