Bhilangana Valley – The Gateway to Khatling Glacier Trek
The Bhilangana Valley lies in the Gharwal region of the Himalayas. The valley is the gateway to Khatling Glacier Trek in Uttarakhand. The Bhilangana Valley offers you some of the most beautiful Himalayan peaks such as Kairi, Draupadi-ka-Danda, and Janoli, all these peaks above 5500 m.
What the Valley offers
The valley brings out many adventure enthusiasts who look to traversing the Bhilangana valley to set foot on the Khatling glacier and Auden’s Col too. En-route attractions are Reeh, Gangi, Kalyani & Bhomakgufa. Now, the valley is more famous for camping, village tourism, and wildlife photography.
Suggested Read – Bali Pass Trek -A Raw Adventure Experience in Garhwal Himalayas
- Khatling glacier sets in district Tehri Garhwal of Uttarakhand. The trek starts from the base camp Ghuttu that is 62 km. away from Tehri. It is high reaching glacial trail & famous for its quiet, pristine, and enchanting sceneries.
- Khatling glacier is the most important glacier of Garhwal Himalayas & is the main source of the river Bhilangna.
- The trek offers you views of so many snow-laden peaks of the Himalayas. These peaks are altogether famous as the Jogin group of mountains (Altitude:6466m), Sphetic Pristwar (6905m), Barte Kauter (6579m) Kirti Stambh (6902m), and Mount Meru.
- This trek traverses along with tiny villages and hamlets of the Garhwal district. The forest of Kharsao is very thick and dense which brings more adventure and more experience to the traditions, culture, and heritage of Uttarakhand.
- I am sure that your mind starts boggling when you see here cultural and natural diversity.
- Bhilangna valley offers you many options to pitch the tent. This is the remote region of the Himalayas. So, Trekkers must arrange tents and other camping essentials in advance from Rishikesh, Tehri, or Dehradun.
Suggested Read – Tehri Lake Festival: Where Fun Meets Beauty
Auden’s Col Pass Trek
- The trek is likely notable for the toughest high-altitude trek in Uttarakhand. The vertical paves and narrow cliffs overrun with crevasses make this pass the toughest one.
- The Auden Col’s trail is a blend of stunning dense Alpine forest, lavish meadows, extravagant lyrical streams and spotted secluded hamlet, etc. It’s a bountiful journey in all senses where every step of the trail is rewarded with awesome views. I am sure that it is a dream trail for every single mountaineer.
- Auden’s Col Pass is another distinguished high-reaching mountain pass in the Garhwal region of Uttarakhand. It is set at a height of 5242 m from sea level. Auden’s Col Pass connects Rudragaira and Bhilangara Valley and it makes a viaduct connecting Jogin I (6465 m) and Gangotri III (6580 m) peaks.
Linking Two Glacier
- Auden’s Col Pass also links these two glaciers specifically the Khatling glacier to the south of Bhilangna valley and Jogin I glacier to the north of Rudugaira valley.
- Through Auden’s Col Pass, you can even trek up to Kedarnath while traversing between Auden’s Col and Khatling glacier.
- The name of the pass derived from John Bicknell Auden. He was a British geologist, and explorer, who explored first it in 1935. He passed Auden from Rudugaira Valley side and came down to Bhilangana valley along Khatling in 1939.
Suggested Read – KUARI PASS TREK- Follow the Trail of Lord Curzon from Rishikesh
Where to stay
- Tourist Rest House at Ghuttu.
- Reeh & Gangi Tourist Rest Houses.
- Gangi is the last village beyond which you can pitch the tent on your own.
How to Reach
- You need to reach first Ghuttu, which is the base camp for Khatinga Valley. Ghuttu is well-connected by road from Dehradun, Rishikesh, Tehri & Mussoorie too.
- Ghuttu is about 1 80 km far from Dehradun and It takes normally 6 hours by road.
- In Summer – May & June are the best months
- Post- Mansoon – from September to Mid-October offers awesome natural sceneries.
Suggested Read- Treks in Garhwal Himalaya