How to Reach Mahavatar Babaji’s Cave, Kukucchina, Dwarahat, Uttarakhand.
The devotees often ask me how to reach the Mahavatar Babaji cave and keep calling me over my phone. So I felt immense gratitude and inspiration from Mahavatar Babaji to write possible information to reach Mahavatar Babaji Cave easily. Here is a piece of information that is very essential before planning to visit Mahavatar Babaji Cave in Uttarakhand.
The Route Itinerary from Delhi to Babaji Cave.
There are 3 ways to reach the cave from Delhi as follows;
- Road Trip – from Delhi -Nainital – Ranikhet – Dwarahat – Kukucchina village – Mahavatar Babaji Cave
- Train Trip – New Delhi Railway Station To Kathgodam Railway Station- A road trip to Babaji cave via Ranikhet- Dwarahat – Mahavatar Babaji Cave.
- Flight Trip – New Delhi – Pant Nagar Airport- A Road Trip to Babaji cave via Ranikhet- Dwarahat- Kukucchina- Mahavatar Babaji Cave.
The Route from Rishikesh to Babai Cave.
- You can reach Babaji Cave only by road trip via Rudraprayag – Karnprayag- Gairsain – Dwarahat- Babaji Cave ( 300 km).
- There is a Public Transport Bus of Uttarakhand Government that runs every day from Rishikesh to Dwarahat or You can take shared Taxi from Rishikesh up to Dwarahat.
- If you would like to have a private taxi then you can hire from Rishikesh or Haridwar.
Suggested Read – Yogoda Satsanga Sakha Ashram Dwarahat: A Tranquil Among Nature
The Route from Haridwar to Babaji Cave.
There are 2 Ways to reach Babaji Cave from Haridwar are;
- By Train – Overnight Journey by train from Haridwar Railway station to Kathgodam Railway Station which leaves every day at 00h15. from Haridwar railway station. From Kathgodam a road journey to Babaji cave via Ranikhet -Dwarahat- Kukucchina – Mahavatar Babaji Cave.
- By Road Trip via Rudraprayag – Karnprayag- Gairsain -Dwarahat- Mahavatar Babaji Cave ( 300 km).
From Kathgodam Railway Station
- Form here, you take a shared taxi to Ranikhet (4 hours) and from Ranikhet, another shared taxi to Dwarahat (3 hours).
- The share taxi from Kathgodam up to Dwarahat should be around 250 or 300 rupees.
From Dwarahat – Babaji Cave
- Once you reached the Dwarahat market you’ll need to take another share taxi to Kukuchina (50 minutes) for about 25 rupees.
- This is the last stop by car. The distance between Dwarahat and Kukuchina is 19 km and from Kukuchina to Cave 4 km ( 2 km unpaved motorable road & 2 km moderate trek).
Suggested Read – Haidakhan Baba Ashram: A Revelation In The Himalayas
From Kukuchina Village – Babaji Cave
- You will need to walk up the mountain to reach the cave, about a 60 -90 minutes mix of hiking and trekking.
- It is not a difficult walk up but you’ll need to go slow according to your capacity since the altitude might affect you.
Where to stay?
Yogoda Satsanga Sakha Ashram
- If you are a Self Realization Fellowship member or a Yogoda Satanga Society member you should definitively stay at the Yogoda Satsanga Sakha Ashram which is just 15 minutes walking from the Dwarahat market. From there, you just need to take a shared taxi, about 50 minutes ride to reach the cave.
- You can also stay in Dwarahat itself. I heard from a group of Kriyabans from the Hariharananda tradition that they were staying in a hotel in Dwarahat for about 800 rupees per night.
- From Dwarahat, You can reach the cave by taking a shared public taxi or private taxi which will take about 50 minutes.
Suggested Read – Dwarahat Town -Babaji Ashram
Joshi Guest House Kukucchina
- Another option is to stay at Joshi’s guesthouse in Kukuchina. It is actually a pretty nice place. There are several rooms but also two beautiful and comfortable cottages as well.
Pandukholi or Pandavkholi
- One more option is to stay on top of the hill at the Pandukholi or Pandavkholi Dharamshala. But to reach there you have to take a hike about 3 km through the forest.
- It is a simple shelter for pilgrims with very basic accommodation but really friendly people and incredible surroundings.
Suggested Read – A Date With The Saint: Kainchi Dham- Nainital