How to Reach Mahavatar Babaji’s Cave, Kukuchina, Dwarahat, Uttarakhand
The devotees often ask me how to reach the Mahavatar Babaji cave and keep calling me over my phone. So I felt immense gratitude and inspiration from Mahavatar Babaji to write possible information to reach Mahavatar Babaji Cave easily.
How to reach Mahavatar Babaji Cave- From Delhi or From Rishikesh. 1- From Delhi, via Nainital -Ranikhet-Dwarahat-Kukuchina & Babaji Cave. 2- From Rishikesh via Devprayag – Rudraprayag- Karnprayg- Gainsain- Dwarahat- Kukuchina & Babaji Cave.
Here is a piece of information that is very essential before planning to visit Mahavatar Babaji Cave in Uttarakhand.
Route 1 – New Delhi to Babaji Cave.
There are 3 ways to reach the cave from Delhi as follows;
- By Road Trip – from Delhi -Nainital – Ranikhet – Dwarahat – Kukuchina village – Mahavatar Babaji Cave
- By Train Trip – New Delhi Railway Station To Kathgodam Railway Station- Then After a road trip to Babaji cave via Ranikhet- Dwarahat – Kukuchina village -Mahavatar Babaji Cave.
- By Flight Trip – New Delhi – Pantnagar Airport- Then After a Road Trip to Babaji cave via Ranikhet- Dwarahat- Kukuchina- Mahavatar Babaji Cave.
Route 2- Rishikesh To Babai Cave By road only
- By Road Trip -You can reach Babaji Cave only by road trip via Rudraprayag – Karnprayag- Gairsain – Dwarahat- Babaji Cave ( 300 km).
- By Public Transport – There is a Public Transport Bus of Uttarakhand Government that runs every day from Rishikesh to Dwarahat or You can take private shared Taxis from Rishikesh up to Dwarahat. And then, another short trip up to Kukucchina.
- By Private Transport – If you would like to have a private taxi then you can hire from Rishikesh or Haridwar.
Suggested Read – Yogoda Satsanga Sakha Ashram Dwarahat: A Tranquil Among Nature
Route 3- Haridwar To Babaji Cave.
There are 2 Ways to reach Babaji Cave from Haridwar are;
- By Train – Overnight Journey by train from Haridwar Railway station to Kathgodam Railway Station which leaves every day at 00h15. from Haridwar railway station. From Kathgodam, a road journey to Babaji cave via Ranikhet -Dwarahat- Kukuchina -Dwarahat & Mahavatar Babaji Cave.
- By Road Trip via Rishikesh- Devprayag -Rudraprayag – Karnprayag- Gairsain -Dwarahat- Dwarahat- Mahavatar Babaji Cave ( 300 km).
Kathgodam Railway Station To Babaji
- By Road Trip – Form Kathgodam Railway Station, you take a shared Public taxi to Ranikhet (4 hours) and from Ranikhet, another Public shared taxi to Dwarahat (3 hours). and again you from Dwarahat to Kukucchina, another local taxi to reach there. The share taxi from Kathgodam up to Dwarahat should be around 250 or 300 rupees.
- By Private Transport – If you need to hustle free road trip up to Babaji Cave, then you need to book a private Taxi from the Railway station.
Dwarahat – Kukuchina Babaji Cave
- Once you reached Dwarahat Town Square, you’ll need to take another share taxi to Kukuchina (50 minutes) for about 25 rupees.
- Dwarahat is a famous town, Dwarahat Kukuchina distance is 19 km and from Kukuchina to Cave 4 km ( 2 km unpaved motorable road & 2 km moderate trek).
Suggested Read – Haidakhan Baba Ashram: A Revelation In The Himalayas
Kukucchina Village – Babaji Cave
- You will need to follow the trail that assists you to reach the cave, about a 60 -90 minutes mix of hiking and trekking. You can start from the Kukucchina about 4 km.
- It is not a difficult walk up but you’ll need to go slow according to your capacity since the altitude might affect you.
Where to stay at Babaji Cave?
Yogoda Satsanga Sakha Ashram
- If you are a Self Realization Fellowship member or a Yogoda Satanga Society member you should definitively stay at the Yogoda Satsanga Sakha Ashram which is just 15 minutes walking from the Dwarahat market. From there, you just need to take a shared taxi, about 50 minutes ride to reach the cave.
- You can also stay in Dwarahat itself. I heard from a group of Kriyabans from the Hariharananda tradition that they were staying in a hotel, Dwarahat for about 800 rupees per night.
- From Dwarahat, You can reach the cave by taking a shared public taxi or private taxi which will take about 50 minutes.
Suggested Read – Dwarahat Town -Babaji Ashram
Joshi Guest House Kukucchina
- Another option is to stay at Joshi’s guesthouse in Kukuchina. It is actually a pretty nice place. There are several rooms but also two beautiful and comfortable cottages as well.
Pandukholi or Pandavkholi
- One more option is to stay on top of the hill at the Pandukholi or Pandavkholi Dharamshala. But to reach there you have to take a hike about 3 km through the forest.
- It is a simple shelter for pilgrims with very basic accommodation but really friendly people and incredible surroundings.
Suggested Read – A Date With The Saint: Kainchi Dham- Nainital