YOGA RETREAT- FROM RISHIKESH TO THE SOURCE OF THE GANGES
Our yoga retreat-from Rishikesh to the source of the Ganges is for those who like to combine Yoga Retreat in India with a deeper spiritual experience. Supported by a yoga teacher and Ayurvedic therapist. This is a beautiful opportunity to discover the source of our being and the deeper meaning of life by finding a connection with the strong energies of the Himalayan Mountains.
Rishikesh is located deep in the green hills of the magical mountains of the Himalayas, our beautiful Yoga Ashram in Rishikesh will be your home for the first week of the yoga retreat-from Rishikesh to the source of the Ganges.
The Duration of Program
A week of yoga practice allows you to become more centered and prepare for the upcoming deep spiritual experience, in the second week of the retreat, a special spiritual journey through the Himalayas up to the source of the Ganges, Gomukh.
Where Spirituality meets Cultural Immersion
- The purpose of our Yoga Retreats in India is to take you on magical journeys through the cradle of yoga, let you enjoy the rich Indian culture and beauty of nature while learning about its history and ancient wisdom.
- We offer you a special opportunity to experience some of the most spiritual places in India through the eyes of a Yogi Ji philosopher and yoga master. Born in the north of India in the Himalayas, dedicated to the spiritual life from his early youth, he has a strong connection with nature.
- Following in the footsteps of the ancient yogis, he takes us on a journey through the sacred landscapes of the Himalayas to find the Source of Life, using mythology, philosophy, and above all spirituality to find the inner source.
- We will walk the paths where for centuries hundreds of thousands of ancient sages have walked and meditated in search of the meaning of life. We hope to immerse ourselves in some of their powerful energies to transform our lives and bring us closer to self-awareness and clarity of mind.
- You take a much-needed break and allow yourself a beautiful transformation with our Spiritual Yoga Retreat in the Himalayas of Northern India!
Suggested Read – Gomukh Trek- The source of the River Ganges
A Spiritual Yoga Retreat at the Source of the Ganges
Our special two-week spiritual retreat in the Himalayas takes you to Gomukh Glacier, the true source of the holy river Ganges! We will begin the pilgrimage from Gangotri, a small mountain town near the Indo-Tibetan border, dedicated to the Goddess Ganga and one of the 4 Char Dhams, the most sacred temples in Hinduism.
According to mythology, it was Lord Shiva who brought down the Heavenly Mother from the sky with her long locks of hair and spread her powers in seven currents that flowed to the farthest corners of the Earth.
Our spiritual meditation and yoga retreat will take us on a journey to the mountains that give life to the sacred river. We practice walking meditation and perform the Pujas – the ceremony of worship – right at the Source of the Ganges. The magical mountains where untouched nature meets ancient pilgrims and the meditative energies of the yogis will give us a special opportunity for spiritual and personal growth.
Suggested Read – YOGA, AND MEDITATION IN RISHIKESH HIMALAYA
Why Should The Spiritual Yoga Retreat to The Source of the Ganga?
If you want to combine a Yoga Retreat in India with a spiritual experience, this is absolutely the one to choose. The Ganges is the holiest river in India, Ganga is our mother. Hindus believe that bathing in the Ganges River washes our sins. Walking to Gomukh, the Source of the Ganges is a truly powerful and transformative journey. Taking a dip here will give you a fresh start in life!
We cordially invite you to join us on our next Spiritual Yoga Retreat at the Source of the Ganges!
Spiritual Tour Program Itinerary
The First Week of Retreat – Yoga Retreat in Rishikesh at Yoga Ashram
- During the first week of the Retreat, you will stay at the Yoga Ashram in Rishikesh. Our Yoga Ashram is located right on the banks of Mother Ganga, your bright room has a direct view of the flowing River Goddess; guaranteed to infuse you every day with calming and restorative energy.
- You will have your own room and private bathroom, receive fresh Ayurvedic meals every day, and gain inner peace. We offer a good, healthy, and balanced program in our yoga retreats.
- You will start the day by chanting spiritual mantras with us and learning the techniques of Pranayama.
- You will have two 1.5 hour yoga classes per day, taught by our experienced teachers. Our lessons are encouraging and detailed.
- After lunch, you will have free time to spend as you wish. Many of our guests love to explore Rishikesh, venturing into the Beatles Ashram, and the Evening Ganga Aarti at Parmarth Niketan visiting other spiritual sites such as temples and meditation caves around the city.
- In the evening you will relax and quiet your mind with us during meditation. Twice a week you will also have Yogic Philosophy classes taught by Yogi Ji, where we offer guidance on how yoga can help you lead a more meaningful and purposeful life.
- Your Rishikesh yoga retreat will allow you to relax, unwind, become more centered, and live a healthy and authentic lifestyle. It is the best way to prepare yourself for the following spiritual experience in the Himalayas.
What is Included in the First Week?
1- Two yoga sessions a day 2- Conferences, meditation, yoga philosophy classes 3- Daily Ayurvedic Lesson 4-Three healthy vegetarian meals every day 5- An Ayurvedic massage 6-Accommodation in a private bedroom with an attached bathroom
The second week: Begin your Journey to the Source of the Ganges.
Day 1: Rishikesh to Gangnani Hot Springs
On our first day, we will depart in our private transport from the Ashram and begin to venture to the Gangnani Hot Springs. Make sure you have your warm clothes packed! It will be a nice drive. We will cover 216 kilometers and climb up to 2392 meters. Come wide-eyed prepared to admire our colorful way of life outside your window. We will pass through many delightful villages and towns, with Mother Ganges below us. We will take regular breaks for some hot and delicious cups of chai and we will visit the holy places like small temples along the way to prepare the mind and soul for the supreme spiritual experience that awaits us.
We will soon reach our magical destination for the afternoon day: Gangnani hot springs to energize your soul. Soak your toes, or all of yourself, in these warm cleansing waters to relax your feet before your yoga hike this week! With separate facilities for men and women, take a slow dip and relax.
Day 2: Gangnani to Dharali
Today we will climb even higher in the Himalayas, but with a much shorter drive: only 33 kilometers. At 2680 meters, you will find yourself in the quaint, relaxing, picturesque little village of Dharali. Sage Bhagirath is believed to have meditated here to bring Mother Ganges down from heaven. Dotted with delightful hotels, guesthouses, and restaurants along the Bhagirathi River, this small market town comes alive quickly between May and June. The snow has melted and the infamous succulent Dharali apples are ready to be sold. We will make sure to taste and enjoy them!
You will have the feeling of stepping back in time as we venture to the nearby local Tibetan village. Peace and tranquility will greet you among traditional wooden houses, through gentle swirls of smoke as teapots boil and wood fires sparkle. The villagers are incredibly kind and welcoming; happy to share their culture with you. Across the Bhagirathi River, you will meet many Dharali villagers.
As you make your way up the mountain, you will find yourself in scenes as if they were ripped from a fairytale. Lush green fields, softly shelling cows on the shrubs and 7 sparkling shining lakes await you. This is where we will do our yoga practice, enjoying the beauty that surrounds us.
Day 3: Dharali to Gangotri
From the wonderful village of Dharali, we will continue our road for 19 km to Gangotri; the charming pilgrim village that marks the beginning of our yogic trek to Gomukh. With Mother Ganges running straight through the center of this Himalayan hub, Gangotri is a long way. It is coated with delicious stuffing treats and lots of religious junk and mementos.
You’ll find statues of Lord Shiva, framed photos of Mother Ganga, and bundles of bottles, which you can fill to keep your part of Mother Ganga with you. We will have time to explore this magical city, visit the ashrams, meditate along the river and attend the evening of the Ganga Aarti ceremony at Gangotri temple. Ganga Aarti is your chance to receive purification and a blessing from Mother Ganges. We will sing songs in honor of Mother Ganga, gaining her power through fires and lamps. It will be a beautiful moment full of transformative energy.
Day 4: Trekking from Gangotri to Bhojwassa
This is! Wake up ready and available. Today we will start our pilgrimage, covering 13 kilometers in 6 hours, towards the Gangotri Gomukh glacier! Starting from 3048 meters, we will climb to a height of 3792 meters. Leaving Gangotri behind, we will enter another world by reaching the Gangotri National Park checkpoint. From here the views are instantly wonderful. With the sun’s rays bursting between the peaks, we will wind our way along the dusty path, under the mighty Himalayan mountains that soar above. It is a scenic paradise for practicing walking meditation!
We will cross shaky wooden bridges, passing curious “blue” goats, walking in the imaginable footsteps of ancient pilgrim times. Just when your energy is starting to wear off, there will likely be a Sadhu walking beside you, in his humble sandals and orange robe, encouraging you to continue! Once you arrive in Bhojwassa, you will truly be in the Himalayas! We are only 4 kilometers from The Source! But first, we must rest, eat, rejuvenate, and sleep well in this last humble resting place before we reach our destination.
Day 5: Trekking from Bhojwassa to The Source Gomukh!
Good morning! You will wake up to the best views with Bhagirathi peaks, with a cup of hot chai in your hand and a hearty Indian breakfast in your belly. The time has come for us to finally meet the Source of the Ganges. You’re excited? We really are! This is the last part of our journey. With all your might, cross this rocky terrain and climb the boulders in front of you. At a height of 3890 meters, we did it! Compliments!
This is a supreme spiritual experience to witness the first appearance of the sacred Goddess Ma Ganga in the sunlight! 6 days of incredible, mesmerizing trekking in India and finally… here we are in Gomukh: sitting in front of the powerful, life-changing source of Mother Ganga herself. She is the living and breathing goddess of India; who loves you.
We have just experienced one of the most spiritual treks in the Himalayas, through a deeply magnificent and sacred landscape. Walking to the Source of the Ganges is a life-changing experience. After meditation, we will return to Bhojwassa to spend another night. This is the time to reflect on all that you have achieved in the past 5 days and to treasure the memories you have today with Mother Ganga.
Day 6: Ascent from Bhojwassa to Gangotri and drive to Uttarkashi
We will descend and gently return to Gangotri within 5 hours. Once we arrive in Gangotri, we will take a 2.5 hour private trip to Uttarkashi, and take a well-deserved rest here for the night.
Day 7: Uttarkashi to Rishikesh via Lambgaon
On our last day, we will return to Rishikesh, enjoying a stop through Lamgown along the way. A small mountain village, this is a lovely place to experience real Indian village life and visit the nearby Sem Mukhem temple. We will return to Rishikesh in the evening: completed, renewed, and renewed!